Monday, January 25, 2010

Who designed maternity clothes...seriously?!

All I have to say is, thank God my sister went before me and passed down her maternity clothes. Not only did she save me money (which really isn't the point) but she saved me time and a lot of humiliation!

No one likes standing in front of a mirror in a store's dressing room anyway, let alone someone with a growing belly trying on maternity clothes. My first experience was actually right before Christmas. I decided I wanted to be more comfortable at work and not that I was truly "showing" yet, but I was feeling the tug around my belly button area in many of my work shirts. So I ventured out one morning to discover a very limited selection of maternity clothes, let alone good ones. After a depressing walk through Kohls and Target, I came home with three shirts and a headache. My goodness. A woman who is newly pregnant, even though excited, doesn't really want to magnify her slowly changing body. Not only was the maternity section all of about 3 racks, but it was next to the athletic wear and the plus sizes. Not to mention the lack of style and design. I will be the first to admit, I am not a high maintenace girl, but I like to look nice, and in essessence need to dress nice for work. Whoever designed the majority of maternity clothes, was not thinking "working women," they were thinking soap operas and couch potatoes...let's just add to their growing discomfort by dressing them in hidious clothing. On that note I will say, yes there are some decent maternity clothes, and really my sister already picked them out. So thank you. Actually if you are willing to spend some money (not a lot) and actually pay near full price, there are some okay maternity clothes that look nice. I just have a hard time paying full price for clothes that I will only wear 6+ months. Well, actually I have a difficult time paying full price for "regular" clothes too.

I  have since ventured out to find a few more thing to add to what my sister is letting me borrow. I actually ran into maternity lingerie believe it or not, and it was baby girl/boy pick and blue that only my grandmother wore. Check it out. I found it at Burlington called Baby Phat some actual cute top and underwear. Of course I didn't try them on, for fear of the mirrors. Maybe I'll go back after my husband tells me again that he thinks my prego belly is a little sexy, just then I might have the courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

babies