Sunday, April 11, 2010

Child Birth Class...Check: Freaking My Husband Out...Double Check!

Today we finished our child birthing class. I will have to admit, a weekend full (two very full days) of child birth, labor, pain, breathing, etc. made for a long weekend, but I think it benefited us in the end. The debate about going to a class started several weeks ago. I debated about going wondering' will this be helpful or a waste of time? Ultimately I felt we needed to go, if anything to ease a little anxiety of mine and to help educated my non-baby book reading husband. He debated about going strictly because all his buddies told him it was a waste of time. But he is a wonderful and supportive husband that gave up his weekend to sit and watch lots and lots of videos!
So the big question; was taking the child birth class really that beneficial...?
I would say yes...if anything else, it was worth seeing my husband's face and hearing a few choice words come from his mouth as we watch a live birth :)
Honestly though, I think it was nice to be able to go. The class helped ease some of my anxieties (may have produced a few more in my husband) and answered some of my questions that I had brewing. Yes, the first day was a littel intense withteh veiwing of the live birth and the lengthly discussion of the PAIN of child birth. Yet at the same time, it was presented so well, and I think I am ready for this whole labor thing...well, ask me in a couple of months. The first day also ended with a good hour of relaxation and massage. I sure am glad we took the course in one weekend, I would have hated to go home at night after a long discussion of labor, with no massage. Today forcused a little on medications and a lot on once baby arrives and the importance of breast feeding. I liked this, the focus shouldn't be on medications (which I am so not apposed to using), and should be on the health of the baby and the attachment that occurs just as soon as the baby is born. I am big on attachment so this was so great to hear. I just hope others in the class really take into account the importance of attachment. I don't want to see any of their babies come through my office.
Most importantly, the class reminded more and more of how awesome our God is! He created us, and created us to function perfectly, down to every last reflex that we're born with. So amazing.
Now I feel even more ready to meet this little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

babies